I found out this week I’ve been accepted for a one-month residency at Bundanon next year – hoorah!
Bundanon was gifted to the Australian people in 1993 by Arthur and Yvonne Boyd and is located on 1,100 hectares of bush land overlooking the Shoalhaven River, near Nowra. It looks beautiful. If you would like to check it out for yourself, here’s the website: www.bundanon.com.au
I’m a fiction writer whose short stories have been published in a number of journals and anthologies, including Best Australian Stories, The Age, Overland, Southerly and Going Down Swinging. My work has been broadcast on radio. I’ve also worked as a freelance writer and columnist.
Awards I have received for my short fiction include first place in the Banjo Patterson National Short Story Competition, the Wimmera Literary Competition, the University of British Columbia “Ubyssey” Literary Competition and the FAW Frank Page Award for Short Story Writing. I have also been placed in the Age Short Story Competition and the University of Canberra Literary Competition.
I am a past recipient of the Varuna Eleanor Dark Flagship Fellowship for Fiction, an Australian Society of Authors Mentorship, a Bundanon residency and an Australia Council Emerging Writers Grant.
Selected published work
- ‘Benny Wins Powerball’, Going Down Swinging, #32, October 2011
- ‘Honey’, Australian Book Review website, December 2010
- ‘Trace’, Etchings, July 2009
- ‘My Life as a Freeze-Framed Action Hero’, Final Draft, 2ser radio, 2/6/2008
- ‘The Promise’, The Age, January 2006
- ‘Jump’, F.Moorhouse (ed), Best Australian Stories 2004, Black Inc.; Southerly, v 60, n 3, 2003
- ‘On the Way to Thursday’, Hecate, v 30, n 2, 2004
- ‘Packing a Punch’, Overland, v 171, Winter 2003
- ‘Scene on a Boat’, Dot Lit, 2002
- ‘The Wound Begins’, Imago, v 13, n 3, 2001
- ‘Sheets’, Southerly, v 60, n 3, 2000
- ‘Seven Points in Detail’, Idiom 23, v 10, n 1, 1997